If you are thinking about applying for funding, you can speak to your Museum Development Officer (MDO) about developing your application. Your MDO should be able to supply up to date funding information and provide advice on which schemes might be suitable. You can also expect to receive support when writing and developing your application, including receiving feedback on drafts.
- Writing a Grant Application in 10 Steps
- AIM Success Guide: Successful fundraising at museums
- Museums Association: Planning a successful fundraising campaign
- Museums Association: Cultivating private donors
- Museum Fundraising – 10 Powerful Insights and Tips for the Modern Museum
- SHARED Enterprise: Developing a fundraising strategy
- Charity Commission: Charity Fundraising: a guide to trustee duties
- Museums Essex – Small Grants Scheme
- SHARE Museums East. If you are in the accreditation scheme you are eligible to apply for SHARE grants and funding schemes.
- Art Fund Small Project Grants support museums to realise adventurous projects of up to £10,000. Art Fund also run a Respond and Reimagine grant scheme which museums in Essex have had luck applying to.
- The Foyle Foundation supports charities with an arts or learning remit. Grants of between £10,000 and £50,000 are available and applications can be submitted at any time. More on the Foyle Foundation website.
- The Esmee Fairbairn Collections Fund is adapting its offer for museums needing support with Covid related implications to continue enabling access to collections. More information on the Museums Association website.
- Garfield Weston Foundation have an ongoing grant scheme to support UK charities. You can take their quick online eligibility quiz to find out if you are eligible. Their guidance for their schemes can be found here along with their FAQs. They can cover core running costs.
Other local funding opportunities might be available from the following:
- Essex Heritage Trust
- Essex Community Foundation
- Your local authority – many museums have had success in applying for a small business grant from the government, so this is worth exploring if you haven’t already.
The Essex MDO has a spreadsheet with a more comprehensive list of grants and funders – contact for a copy.