Museums Essex runs a Small Grants Scheme, supporting members to connect with audiences, effectively manage collections and improve organisational health. Since the scheme started in 2013 Museums Essex has awarded 47 grants, totalling almost £22,000 to 31 museums.
Round 9 – Autumn 2021: Collections Care
This round is focused on improving standards in collections care, enabling museums to better manage their collections and increase staff/volunteer understanding of issues and priorities related to collections care.
Eight grants of up to £500 are available, with one of the grants this year very kindly sponsored by Tiptree.
Please ensure you read through the information document to ensure you fully understand what information the application is asking for and what supporting information should also be provided. For some answers it may be clearer to use bullet points rather than descriptive narrative.
The Assessment form has been shared for transparency, so that you can see how your application would be assessed by the grants sub-committee (Caroline Pantling, Philip Wise, Tony O’Connor).
Examples of eligible grant activity:
- Purchase of equipment or materials to improve conditions including environmental monitoring equipment, packing and storage materials, mounts for objects on display
- Access to an accredited conservator to provide a specialist audit on key collections care issues and priorities
- Remedial conservation treatment
- Hiring a specialist to deliver staff or volunteer training to support improvements in collections care
Other areas may be considered by the Trustees if in their view they contribute to the ability of a museum to care for their collections appropriately.
Please return your application by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday 13 December 2021.
Applicants will be informed of the outcome early in January 2022. Successful applicants will receive a cheque at this time and unsuccessful applicants will be given feedback on their applications and an indication on whether to submit a similar bid at a subsequent round.
Hear from recipients about the impact of our grants and get some ideas for your next application on our Case Studies page!
- a not-for-profit member of Museums Essex
- located within the historic county of Essex
- an organisation with publicly accessible collections.
Terms and conditions
- All objects requiring conservation or restoration must be owned by the applicant museum, gallery or heritage organisation.
- Applicants may be asked for a copy of their governing document to verify their not-for-profit status.
- Organisations that have applied for a grant before, whether successful or not, are eligible to apply, subject to having completed the required grant report where money has been previously awarded by Museums Essex.
Please note that the Museums Essex Small Grants Scheme is in addition to the Grant Scheme administered by SHARE Museums East, but could be used to compliment the SHARE Scheme.